Saturday, September 09, 2006

this pretty much sums up my hospital stay......

why on earth would they put me in the same room with an 83-year-old crazy cat lady? this woman kept me up almost my entire first night after surgery...i truly only got about 1-2 hours of sleep. she talked to me until 1:30 am about her cats, her son....who was brain-injured after being beaten up by drug dealers....and who now lives with her and her cats....but doesn't work..."but he is a really good boy"...and all he does is shop and now has 92 pairs of jeans and 124 t-shirts...and he is mean to her sometimes..."but he is a really good boy"....and how she had a stroke a few years ago and her doctor told her to talk...alot....so now she talks to her plants and her cats and on her cell phone (which she did alot in the hospital)..and to me which she did in run-on sentences, on and on and on and on. i finally told her to stop talking to me because i was exhausted and needed to get some sleep. she did but at 2:30 am she rolled over onto her tv remote and turned on her tv and didn't know how to turn it off so she rang for the nurse who came into the room, flicked on the overhead light and talked really loud (what the...it's 2:30 am!!). she called them again at 3:30 am for something that i was too drugged (maybe not drugged enough) or too exhausted to remember. when the nurse came in at 4:00 am for vitals, i asked for her pen and wrote this note on a napkin...
Posted by Picasa

"you have to get me out of here!!, which i handed to her with a pleading, puppy-dog look in my eyes. she laughed and said, "just a minute", she came back and said,"c'mon, i'll move you to the next door, it's empty. i flew out of the bed so fast and she had to follow me to the next room. "did you have a vaginal hysterectomy", she asked me. "nope", i answered, "i had an abdominal hysterectomy". she told me that she has never seen anyone move with so much speed and agility so soon after surgery. "you'll do anything when you're desperate", i replied. i hopped into that new bed so happily, but as everyone knows, there is no rest for the weary in a hospital. and what is up with the nurses coming into your room in the middle of the night, turning on the overhead light and talking in loud voices. i understand that this is your daytime but it is my nighttime and you need to come into my room and gently wake me up, whisper to me and for god's sake, use a flashlight to see.........geez...only one of my nurses did that for me. she was also the one who told me that crazy cat lady told her and all of the other nurses that i kept her awake all night. we all got a good laugh about that one. i was very happy to come home a day early. my recovery has been slower than i expected. i am still very sore today around my incision site but i have tried to remain active. i started walking on a regular basis but i still have to lay down at about 3 o'clock in the afternoon for a rest or a nap. hopefully i will gain more strength as time goes on and i can get some cleaning and reorganizing done around this house.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home